Healthy Food Swaps for clearer, acne-free skin:
Sometimes you just need to give into the cravings… but often there’s a healthier way to get your fix. Try the following 10 Healthier Food Swaps to keep your tummy happy, tastebuds tickled and your skin in tip top shape:
- Sweet Potatoes instead of Regular Potatoes
- Why? Lower GI & GL + additional Vitamins
- Corn Cakes instead of Rice Cakes
- Why? Rice cakes are often made with white rice and can induce insulin spikes
- Avocado instead of Butter
- Why? Dairy can be inflammatory on the gut but Avocado is soothing and great for hormonal health
- Spinach instead of Lettuce
- Why? Spinach is rich in antioxidants, iron and calcium – perfect for your skin and bones when you’re going dairy free
- Quinoa instead of CousCous
- Why? Quinoa is a gluten free protein and is super adaptable – use it as porridge, in salads, instead of rice…and and and!
- Shredded Coconut instead of Bread Crumbs
- Why? Coconut tastes delightfully exotic and is gluten free!
- Banana Pancakes instead of the Real Deal
- Why? Gluten free, added sugar free, delicious… more reasons here!
- Zoodles instead of Spaghetti
- Why? Gluten free! Vegetables! High in Vitamins & Minerals! WHAT?? Zoodles = Zucchini Noodles. Literally spirals or sticks of zucchini used in place of noodles. Yum!
- Nuts instead of Croutons
- Why? Nuts are high in protein and fats, they are an important part of the meal rather than being just a tasty, gluten-bomb add-on
- Red Wine instead of White Wine*
- Why? Red Wine contains higher levels of polyphenols and is more beneficial for your heart. Plus it’s my drink of choice!
Stay tuned for more swaps!
*This is not your excuse to hit the the bottle everyday! Drinking should be done occasionally and in moderation. Alcohols’s a stimulant & inflammatory and therefore not great for your body or your skin.